What is yours?

We all have our own convictions, strong opinions, strong beliefs... I am generally a very laid back person, I let things slide- (and at times maybe a little too much) and especially with this whole parenting thing.... Whatever-- you wanna potty train your 6 month old- yay for you, you wanna feed your 18 month old the extra value combo, great!  What ever floats your boat.... I know this is the HARDEST job (with out the policy and procedure handbook) on the planet!! No one knows what they are doing, and if they tell you they do they are soo lying.... I try very hard not to judge other parents, but I am human and sometimes it does happen.. Just like what is going to happen here after I have a little rant..... 


Take a look at this picture.......My little man asleep in the car..... Can you spot what is wrong?? No it is not the balloon, not the car seat--- have you guessed it?! If not I will give you a hint---- GUN.

Yes it is a water gun, and Yes he did get it from a treasure chest at a birthday party, and No, I did not take him to this party. Dad took him and he had an absolute blast! You can tell by him taking a little sleepy sleep on the way home!! 

I am 100% not ok with guns..... Not at all.. No toy guns, no water guns, NO GUNS! These should not be made for children to play with.... Yes toys, but what they represent is horrible.... I know some children, youth, teens, And adults that do not know where the line is.. What is play, and what isn't. And having a weapon created into a toy is so not ok.

I do not have gun trauma, I have had no experiences with guns but I think it is not ok.
Children are innocent, and yes he will pretend to shoot and hopefully he will be creative when he is older and do pretend play-- he can pretend all he wants with his fingers, with sticks, but definitely not with toy guns...

I will not ruin his fun if he is at a friends place playing with one, I will definitely try to redirect him, encourage him not to play with it.. I don't care if you have toy guns at your home, but we aren't going to have any here.... 

I have tried reasoning with myself around this, but then I thought, why the hell should I even try to reason-- this is not ok, and I am not going to allow this .  (Yes it gets complicated!!)

So don't come here to play if you wanna shoot guns........


Don't worry I didn't break his little heart-- he does have a water squirter to replace it!!

Xo

Comments

Linda said…
Mandi, I struggled with this one too. It made me so incredibly angry that my innocent little boys were given an 'Action Man' by my in-laws (at the time) complete with army weapons and full outfit for 'war'. I think they were 3 and 5 at the time. Needless to say when we got home HE was put on the top shelf at the back of the closet and never seen again!!
JILL said…
I couldn't agree more xo
Jinny said…
I totally get your concern. It was a bit risky on the party- givers part but some people do not think of water guns as guns--only a fun device. From experience, you will probably find that no matter what you do, when he gets a bit older, he will play cowboy or policeman and use his finger or a piece of wood as a gun. I bet there were some tears when you asked for the water gun back?? He is such a sweetie pie.

Love Grammy
Anonymous said…
How else is Owen going to know how to protect himself when the zombie apocalypse hits us....oh he will be right begin my children who have been training with their nerd guns since 18 months......
Anonymous said…
That's behind not begin
Me said…
Haha way too funny!!

Popular Posts