And so Begins a Very LONG but fantastic Night!!!

So we returned to the hospital about 5:30ish.  I let the Dr.  know that I was having some mild contractions, and he just admitted us. The nurse brought us around to our little room. This is where it all was going to happen... YIKES!!!  It is soo real!!!!! So we got settled in and chatted with the nurse that was there, she was just about finished for the day and a new one was coming in. She also was the nurse who had to give me my IV. I did not enjoy this, and I think I even swore, as it really really did hurt, and would continue to be my nemesis  for the next 48 hours.
We had to wait for the man from the blood lab to come up and take some blood from me. We seemed to have waited for a while. When he arrived, it was totally awkward. He was totally awkward, not being rude in any way but, probably not the best type of person to be drawing blood, luckily I have a wee bit of control over my fear of needles..... So now the wait was on for the anesthesiologist.  The man that I do fear who is going to stick a needle in my back so that I can be pain free. It took him a while to get there, apparently he was in surgery?! haha.....
While we were waiting though, we met our nurse who was going to be with us until her shift was over at 7:15am.  Her name was Carmen. What a gentle lady. She was fantastic, and I was glad that she was going to be with us.
Andrew left when the anesthesiologist came. Neither him nor I wanted him to be there while I got the epidural. He went down to get our bags from the truck. I was soo scared, and the fella who was going to give me the epidural, was only a tiny bit reassuring, but Carmen really helped me out. I even cried a bit, but only because I was SO scared. It did not hurt, the first needle that was given was the freezing, that was uncomfortable, then I only felt pressure.  Taped my whole back up, and I was good to go.
I was still all freaked out, I thought that I was going to pull the tube out but Carmen and Andrew (when he returned) reassured me that it was not going to happen, pretty much your whole back is taped up!


This is when it dawned on me, my whole bottom part is going to be frozen, so I asked Carmen how I was going to go to the washroom. She said she was going to give me a catheter. WHAT!????   I thought this was only going to happen if I had a C-Section.  Ohh, I did not think this was cool and really thought it was going to hurt, she assured me that I probably would not feel a thing.  I really dont know if  I trusted her......
So by this time, it was 7:45-8:00ish.  The Dr. came in, and he broke my water, and we started the pitocin drip. I was scared that he was leaving, but then let us know that his shift was over at 8:00AM. Phew!  Apparently the epidural was working as I did not feel a thing while he was doin his stuff breakin my water........
Once he left Carmen did put in the Catheter and I did not feel a thing!  I just giggled and giggled. And Throughout the night, I kept going back to that, laughing and saying, hahaha I just peed, Andrew asked if I felt it, I told him I could not feel a thing, but just laughed and laughed.


We hung out well not like I was going anywhere, I felt some contractions, and as they started to get stronger, Carmen increased the epidural, she stated, if I have the meds, why go through the discomfort? I totally agreed with her!!!!
The night continued. She would check me to see how far things were coming, and I was progressing nicely and relatively quickly. Until.....  9cms.    I was stuck at 9 cms dialated........ 
I can't remember what time it was, but I had a melt down. A true meltdown, and Carmen was absolutely fantastic!  I was so scared that all of this was just going to end in a C-Section, and I was soo scared..........  She reassured me that even if it did, that things would be ok, and she said that it is her goal to make sure we have this little boy before the end of her shift..... She really made me feel good and safe.... I truly dont know if we would have had such a great experience if it was not for her.......


So, The night passed, and turned into morning.......   It was about 6:15-6:30, and Carmen said it was time to start pushing!!!!!!!!   She took out these leg things and attached them to the bed, these are where my legs were, and she told me I would probably push for about an hour or so... An hour?!  I told her that I thought that this was the "fast" part of labour.  Apparently not.
So, when I felt a contraction I was to push. Count of at least 8, hopefully 10, 3 times.   I really did not feel what I was pushing, but I just pushed and pushed.......  We joked about the nastiness of this, but I have no shame!!!!!   It is nature!!!!   This was awkward as I met 2 new nurses, my legs in stirrups, a full mess, and spread eagle.  We joked about this too........  
So things were going Great, well as great as they could be, Carmen was my cheerleader and Andrew by my side, fantastic!   7:15am, and Carmen was done her shift. I did shed tears when she left......  She is incredible.....


So I kept pushing, and then I was told to stop, as Baby's head was out. The nurses told me to pant. They got the Dr. and as he was coming in, Baby boy just 'popped' out at 7:38am!!!!!
                                                     Best Experience in my life!!!!!!!!!!



Comments

Popular Posts